Monday, February 14, 2011

Interview with KAREN METCALF-author of In the Storm

I am happy to say that Karen Metcalf, author of "In the Storm" answered some questions for me so I could put them up on my blog for all of you! In the Storm will be released on February 15th (tomorrow!), but will only be available in digital form. Karen is 23years old and this is her first novel....



Abandoned by the world around her, Carly believes she is fated to a life of torment at the hands of her stepfather and is desperate for an escape. When she can bear the abuse no longer and gives in to a thunderous rage, she suddenly finds herself in an unfamiliar, yet beautiful, storm world. This limbo between dimensions appears to be her private sanctuary, but it may just be her purgatory.

No one escapes fate without sacrifice, but is the price more than Carly is willing to pay?

Until next time, Have a good "read"...



1. Where did you come up with the idea for your book?

In all honesty, I can still remember the very first thought that become IN THE STORM. I was lying in bed, and there was an enormous thunderstorm going on outside and I was remembering that during thunderstorms as a child, my parents comforted me by saying that thunder was just the sound of God bowling. But I always thought it would make more sense if he was angry. So whenever I heard thunder, I thought there must be someone very angry above those clouds.
I pictured someone telling this same story to a child. That is where Mitchell came from. Carly evolved as the story teller, and that was it.

2. How long did it take you to write your book?
I started to write it over the first half of Christmas break, my senior year in undergrad. I sent it to a few family members to see if I was crazy, and they demanded I finish it. So I did, about two months later.

3. Are you planning your next book yet?
I have some of it written, but nothing official. Very shortly after submitting my novella for publication, I started grad school, anticipating many months of rejections. I had no idea my story would be picked up so early, and everything has happened very quickly. I haven’t had much time to write on the side since, but I am adding to my current piece.

4. and if so, What is it about and...
I’d rather not say at the moment, but I plan for it to be much longer, and in the same genre.

5. when is its estimated release date?
I hope to have it on the way to publication within a year, but don’t we all? ;)

6. Have you always wanted to be a writer?
Absolutely. I was first published for poetry at age 11, and again at 14. That was when I realized I had the ability to make people cry with my words, and that was like crack to a kid like me, who spent all of her time reading. I always knew it was a pipe dream, and I never thought I would see my name on the cover a book. I still don’t think it has hit me yet.

I was limited on the number of questions I could ask but I am very happy that Karen answered any at all....I look forward to reading this book and I hope you are too!

1 comment:

  1. This is on my "to download" list for tomorrow, so all those pirated movies and MP3 files will just have to wait!

    ReplyDelete