Thursday, January 27, 2011

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis

Across the UniverseAcross the Universe by Beth Revis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

(from Goodreads)
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Another book that I had no interest in at all and didn't even think twice about not buying the book. That is, until I seen the author talk about the book in a YouTube video and just the way she talked about it and just the way SHE talked made me what to try this book out and I am so glad that I did!

This book was nothing like what I thought it would be like. When I heard that this took place in space I pictured "Star Trek" or the like and that is something I really am NOT interested in so the book held no interest for me....BUT it was not like that!

There were so many different elements to this book. It was truly amazing...This book is about a girl named Amy that gets frozen along with her mom and dad while on Earth so that they will be able to be unfrozen when they reach the new planet that they are headed for. It is supposed to take them 300 years to get there and they are going there so they can start new life there. Amy's parents are in the military and hold jobs vital to helping life on the new planet thrive.

But while aboard the ship someone unfreezes Amy prematurely (luckily she survived that) and she is forced to be awake years before her parents and she is forced to try and adjust to this new, strange life aboard the ship.

The problem is is that life aboard the ship is so very different from what life on earth was like and Amy runs into quite a few problems...not to mention that someone is attempting to unfreeze (murder) a lot more of the people on the ship.

This all makes for a very intriguing book! But I have to say that there were a few things that I was not too thrilled with...mostly the "Season"....other than that this book to me was amazing! The characters were great and they really brought this book to life. It was like I was watching a movie in my head...

This book has so much to it. There is mystery, murder, suspense, truth, lies, advanced technology that is so neat to read about...dictatorship...altering of emotions....man, the things that you read about in here is scary if you think that our life could be headed that way in the very far future...

Cannot wait to read more from Beth Revis! Pick this book up if you haven't...you will not be disappointed...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment