Wednesday, January 26, 2011

NIGHT RUNNER by Max Turner

Night RunnerNight Runner by Max Turner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(from Goodreads)
For Zack Thomson, life in the Nicholls Ward wasn't so bad. After his parents died, he developed strange allergies, and the mental institution was the only place where he could be properly looked after. As strange as it was, it was home. But that all changes the night a stranger on a Harley crashes through the front doors and tells him to run. Along with his best friend Charlie and a girl he may or may not be falling in love with, Zack does just that: run. Under the cover of night, hiding amongst the shadows, he races for the truth.

Let me first start off by saying that this cover is so very cool....It is so much better in person...the eyes on the cover like glow or something. Anyway... : D

This wasn't a bad book, but there was something missing in it for me and I can't quite put my finger on it. I know there were some places that were a little slow to me or that I just didn't care for, but otherwise the book was good.

This book is about a boy named Zach who is in a psychiatric facility because both of his parents had died and he was left with no one to take care of him, and he has this rare disease that nobody is completely sure of what it is or how to exactly help him. Nobody, except for one nurse, Nurse Ophelia, at the facility.

Zach isn't crazy, but because of his disease he does have some weird habits, rituals.

The first part of the story is about Zach in the facility and his rituals, and then all of a sudden one night he has a strange, unexpected visitor (actually two visitors) and this changes his life completely. Before he knows it he is on the run from the police and some guy he has never heard of, but what he doesn't realize is is that the people he was told to stay away from are the ones that are trying to help him.

This book is full of action, some humor (characters snide comments, etc) and a little bit of stuff to make you want to gag (or at least I did)....

There is a part after Zach escapes the facility that I didn't care for too much and it started to slow down for me, but then after that it picked back up again. I didn't understand or care for some of the decisions Zach made or was thinking about making. Some of them seem to premature for me and just didn't fit for me. And I wasn't to keen on the fact that the characters in this book accepted Zach's diagnoses so easily.

There is a sequel to this but I am in no hurry to read it. Don't get me wrong, this was a good book, but not something I am crazy about.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment