Monday, December 20, 2010

The Lying Game (The Lying Game, #1)The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(from Goodreads)

I had a life anyone would kill for.
 
Then someone did.
 

The worst part of being dead is that there’s nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to get something no one else does—an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.
Now Emma’s desperate to know what happened to me. And the only way to figure it out is to be me—to slip into my old life and piece it all together. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Pretend to be a happy, carefree daughter when she hugs my parents good night? And can she keep up the charade, even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move?

I actually gave this book 3.5/5*.

This book started out really good for me, but then just turned OK. A light read is what I would call it and not a book that I would normally read because I like my book to have some sort of drama in it. Not a bad book though by any means and one I am sure a lot of people would like even if it stayed that way through the whole thing. But it didn't...About half way through the story it got a lot better.

This story is about a girl named Emma who has been in foster care since she was little and now that she is turning 18 she is going to be basically kicked out of the foster home she is in now to go live on her own. Before this finally happens her foster brother shows her a video of a girl that looks exactly like Emma. Emma finds this girls facebook page and contacts her telling her that they may be twins, not knowing what to expect. But within minutes she has a reply back telling Emma to meet this girl somewhere the next day and here starts the mystery and intrigue of the story. When Emma arrives at the designated place nothing goes as she plans. She never meets the other girl and she is pulled into a crazy and dangerous world where she knows nothing and no-one and has to learn as she goes.

Emma finds out that the girl who she thinks is her twin (Sutton) is actually missing and she is forced to step in and impersonate her. Trying to fool everyone into believing that she is Sutton while she is trying to figure out what actually happened to Sutton. All she knows is that something bad happened to her and everyone is a suspect. There is a lot of suspense and secrets being revealed. Definitely a who-done-it book...as soon as they have you looking at one character you find out it wasn't them and you are turned towards another to exam.

All of the twists and suspense is what made this book for me. I liked the way the story was written and I liked how Sara put Sutton's voice into the story too.

I liked most of the characters, except for Garrett (Suttons boyfriend) who seemed too "whipped" for me.

This book ended off in a good way. One chapter closed and the next book will begin the next chapter. I am not going nuts anticipating the next book but I am curious to know who was involved in Suttons disappearance.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment