Friday, December 9, 2011

My thoughts on "5 FLAVORS OF DUMB" by Antony John



MY THOUGHTS

When I first started this book I knew I would like it, but I wasn't sure how much, but then when I had reached about pg 150 I started doubting that because nothing much was going on for me to really stay interested. I almost stopped reading it, but decided to keep going since it wasn't bad, just boring. And, I am glad that I did.

The story is about a girl named Piper, who is deaf and a rock band called 'Dumb'.

The first part of the story is about how Piper ends up becoming the manager for the band even though she cannot hear. Her job is to find paying gigs for Dumb within a month, or she is no longer their manager. Piper didn't ask for this job, it kind of just fell into her lap, but now that she has it she is determined to see it through.

I felt the first half was a little boring because it is all about the band practicing and how horrible they are. There really wasn't awhole lot going on. But it seemed that as soon as I posted my update that said exactly that, things turned around.

What caught my eye first is how the author included Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix in this story. I have always liked classic rock, grunge, alternative, or whatever it is called nowadays, so I found the information included pretty interesting and I wanted to read more.

Even though there was only a little bit of this in the story, the story started to gain some substance and I got to get to know the characters more intimately. All of the characters had their own individual personalities and I felt like I could feel what each was going through. That always helps to make a book good. When you feel for the characters. As the story progressed you seen how each character developed more and more.

There is a lot more going on in this book then just a band trying to land some gigs. You have teens getting to know who they really are, friendships, understanding, forgiveness, tolerance and so much more.

I also really liked that Pipers family played a big role in this story also. It is always refreshing to read a book where parents are present.

Pipers father had a hard time communicating with his daughter because of her deafness (she didn't start losing her hearing until she was 6), but as the story goes on you see their relationship start to get stronger. That was an important part of the story for me.

I have heard mixed reviews on this book and I am very happy that stuck with it because I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.         

No comments:

Post a Comment