Friday, December 9, 2011

My thoughts on "MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN" by Ransom Riggs


(clicking on cover will take you to Goodreads)

MY THOUGHTS


What an original story and a unique book!

First, let me just say that the construction of the book was so unique....I loved it...I was surprised by how heavy the book was, but I was told that it is because of the type of paper that was used. Then there are pictures throughout the book. The pictures are shown the same time that the main character, Jacob, sees them.

The pictures are pretty creepy, which is the purpose of them--or 'peculiar', as the story states. What I really liked about the pictures besides for the creepiness of them is that they are geniune pictures. Ransom Riggs gathered them from 10 different collectors who bought them from flea markets, estate sales, etc.

I have never read a story like this before and by the way it ended I believe that there will be another book, which I cannot wait for.

Jacobs grandfather tells Jacob stories about peculiar children that he grew up with when he was younger and also about different monsters. He tells Jacob these stories when Jacob is younger and at first Jacob believes him, but of course as he grows up he realizes that there is no way that these stories can be true. Until the day that his grandfather dies, and Jacob finds him in the woods and sees a monster for himself. Or so he believes.

And then the nightmares begin. This all leads to Jacob needing to see a psychiatrist and eventually needing to go to the island where his grandfather grew up so he could see for himself that there are no such things as monsters or the 'peculiar' children that his grandfather always told him about.

Or is there?

The writing of this story was so well done-I could visualize everything as I was reading it and kept thinking of what an amazing and exciting movie this would make.

The characters are brillant! I loved all the peculiar children and Miss Peregrine.

And then the time travel....what a great idea for this book.

I could go on and on but I don't want to give much more away. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it. It is like nothing you have read before. It is full of creepiness, suspense, action, intrigue and the pictures just really add to the whole feel of this story.

Standing ovation to Ransom Riggs for this book....

No comments:

Post a Comment