Sunday, November 27, 2011

My thoughts on 'BRUISER' by Neal Schustermann


(from Goodreads)

"There’s a reason why Brewster can’t have friends – why he can’t care about too many people. Because when he cares about you, things start to happen. Impossible things that can’t be explained. I know, because they're happening to me."
When Brontë starts dating Brewster “Bruiser” Rawlins – the guy voted “Most Likely to Get the Death Penalty” her twin brother, Tennyson, isn’t surprised. But then strange things begin to occur. Tennyson and Brontë’s scrapes heal unnaturally fast, and cuts disappear before their eyes. What at first seems like their good fortune turns out to be more than they bargained for…much more.


Award-winning author Neal Shusterman has crafted a chilling and unforgettable novel about the power of unconditional friendship, the complex gear workings of a family, and the sacrifices we endure for the people we love


MY THOUGHTS

When I first started this book I thought it was about something completely different then what it was about. I purchased this earlier in the year and I either never read what it was about and just assumed or I completely forgot. Anyway, I thought the book was about a bully, and I guess it is in a way, but it is mostly the complete opposite.

The story is about Brewster, who is an outcast at school, who has all sorts of rumors about him flying around. It is also about a girl named Bronte, who befriends him and eventually starts dating him. And finally, it is about Brontes brother, Tennyson, who in the beginning is not at all happy about this development and is not afraid to voice his displeasure.

But what ends up happening is not what you would expect.

This book was very well written and it was another book that flowed for me. I finished this book in one night because of how smooth the story was and how engaging the characters were.

This is a sad, but powerful story. It is about acceptance, friendship, demons (the ones inside us) and it is about some strange stuff. This book also teaches us not to judge people by just what we see on the outside or the rumors that we hear. You truly need to get to know someone before you can make any sort of judgement about them.

I really felt for Brewster. He was definitely not what everyone thought him to be, but so much more. Brewster was kind, sensitive and giving.

If you haven't read this book, I suggest that you pick it up,

Take Care-



No comments:

Post a Comment