Sunday, November 20, 2011

My thoughts on "Wildefire" by Karsten Knight


(from Goodreads)

Every flame begins with a spark.
Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.


MY THOUGHTS

So, what did I think of this book?? Well, I have to say that it definetly kept me reading, kept my attention, which is very important for me because I have a short attention span...and if I am not into the story within the first 50pgs or so then I won't be into it at all. I will put the book down and grab the next one to read.

The main character is Ashline and the first part of the story is her life back in New York. It is basically one whole scene and then the story jumps ahead 8mo.

Here we find Ashline at a prep school across the country, trying to get away from what happened back home. At Blackwood Academy, Ashline hopes to be able to put her past behind her and start over. Unfortunately, that is not to happen. What does happen though is a lot of excitement and discoveries.
Ashline, along with 5 other kids at Blackwood Academy find out that they are more then they think...that they have more to offer then what they think....and that there is a lot of trouble coming their way.

In the midst of all of that, Ashline has to deal with her runaway sister, Eve, who she thought she left behind in New York. Eve keeps popping up in this story at all sorts of places. Places and times that you wouldn't expect. Causing trouble as she always does. All Eve wants is for Ashline to come with her and then the trouble will stop...but will Ashline give in?

I felt as if this story was just a preface for what, hopefully, is to come. Don't get me wrong...this story was very good. It has action, intrigue, suspense and paranormal elements, but I felt as if there was more then what this book gave us. Unfortunately, some of the characters seem to have other plans and I am not sure if I like that or not.

The characters were very likeable and I especially enjoyed Ashlines sarcasm. I thought all of the characters had their own personal qualities that fit them perfectly. There was no-one I wish was written differently. Everyone fit in the story as they should.

I do hope there is another book because I can see this story turning into something great.
(I originally gave this book 3 stars because I felt that something was missing, but now that I have figured out that this is just the beginning of something (or so I hope) I decided to change the rating to 4 stars)...

*Just read that there are two more books due out....Book two in 2012, and book three in 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment