Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My thoughts on "Slice of Cherry" by Dia Reeves


(from Goodreads)

Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.

It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities….

Wow! What can I say about this book? Well, let me start off by saying that when I first heard of this author and her first book, Bleeding Violet, which I still have to read, I heard that her books were a bit "weird", "different", "scary" for lack of a better word...and I was excited!


MY THOUGHTS

I love to read true crime books because I am always curious by what makes people tick and why people do what they do and although a lot of those books don't give me the answer exactly, they still give me a look into the killers mind.

OK, so before I completely go off track-hearing Dia Reeves books described to me I thought they would be exactly what I like reading, but this time in fiction form.

Well, I was in for a surprise. At least with, "Slice of Cherry", (I haven't read Bleeding Violet yet).
This story started off strong. Drew me in immediately. The writing was really well done and I liked the characters. I really enjoyed the banter between the two sisters, Fancy and Kit.

But I have to say, that more then one time, my stomach rolled. I had to stop reading the book and try and think about something else. The images were very disturbing to me. I was shocked by how I felt because I can read most true crime and be OK, and this was only fiction.

I don't know if it was because it was told in such detail (all I can say is the hog part really got to me) and most of the killings were more along the lines of torture. Something I truly cannot handle...obviously if this was bothering me, the author did a great job writing it.

The story is about two sisters, Fancy and Kit, whose father is in prison for killing abunch of people. And the sisters are following in his footsteps.

At first the sisters are just killing to kill because they enjoy it, but as the story goes on, they start to actually try and help others. And what can their way of helping actually be? I thought this was a nice twist on things.

Admist all the killing and morbid thoughts of the two sisters, there is really something else to see. The sisters are so used to be together for everything, but they are growing up and starting to feel different things.

Fancy doesn't like this at all, at first, and becumes angry and tries to jeopardize Kits happiness, but as time goes on will she learn to accept things and maybe find some happiness of her own?

This book isn't all about people being murdered. There are more elements to this book. This book at first seems like it is just your typical book, albeight with two murderous sisters. But the town they live in is a little different then any town around here. Their town is actually a little different then any town around them also. You have some freaky things that happen in this town. Monsters that lurk around, corpses that rise from the dead and doors to other places that have to be discovered, and the places you end up may not be the places you want to go.

The sisters both have special things that they can do and the whole story is written as if you were in the Twilights Zone.

If you are looking for something differenet, something disturbing, something creepy, then this is the book you want to read. Not for the faint of heart though.

No comments:

Post a Comment