Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My thoughts on "VARIANT" by Robison Wells


(from Goodreads)

Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.

He was wrong.

Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.

Where breaking the rules equals death.

But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible.


MY THOUGHTS


After reading the last few books that I have, that were 3*...books that were good but where I felt something was lacking or where something was lacking, it was a relief to read this book.

This book had everything for me. I loved this book! And I am so excited that there is going to be a book 2....I cannot express enough how surprised I was with this book. I was expecting another 3*, even when I was pulled in from the beginning, because with the last few books I was pulled in from the very beginning only to be disappointed the closer it came to the end. Not so with this one. I was intrigued with it from the very beginning and my curiosity and interest in the book just kept growing with each turn of the page.

I thought the whole school being run without adults was interesting and I was curious to know how it would all work out. How is there harmony in this school and how does everything not turn out like "The Lord of the Flies"...

There are gangs or cliques in the book, fighting, trouble-makers, goody two-shoes, back stabbers, and etc. also. But even with all of that going on all the kids have come to a truce and have pretty much learned how to live with each other, despite all their differences.

That is, until Benson Fisher, arrives. Benson suspects that things are amiss from the first day that he is there and when he starts to learn things, he is determined to get out of that school. The only problem, once you are there, there is no leaving.

But Benson refuses to believe this and he creates awhole lot of havoc for himself and everyone else. But if he didn't the story would have never played out like it did and Benson would never have found out the things that he did.

Robison did such a great job on this book that I cannot find anything that I didn't like about it. I cannot wait until book 2 comes out!!

Take Care-

No comments:

Post a Comment