Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My thoughts on "Sara's Face" by Melvin Burgess

All I can say is that I enjoyed this book. It is very hard for me to explain. I did a video review on YT and that was all over the place.


 I can say that it reminds of me of Bram Stokers "Dracula" in how it was written and the setting (sort of)....Sara goes to stay with a rock star named Johnathan, who has had numerous surgeries done on his face, just because, and because of all of them he has had done, his face literally collapses! He ends up wearing masks all the time to cover the gruesomeness of this.


Johnathan meets Sara at the hospital when she is there after an accident where an iron burned the whole side of her face. He automatically feels a connection with her and offers her to come stay with him in his huge house and to pay for her surgery (plastic surgery). She agrees and while at his house and awaiting the surgery (which is a few months down the road), she notices strange stuff going on, although she seems to be the only one that notices anything. She is very curious and afraid at the same time to find out what it is that is going on. This all leads us to discover quite a few things.


This story to me wasn't fast paced at all and there where no "aha" moments or intense points, but there were some disturbing points and there were some ghosts that make an appearance...it still was a good book. The end was disturbing especially....Especially after you realize what exactly is going on....

Sorry this wasn't the best...you just need to read the book to see what I was trying to say...

Take Care!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, I thought I posted this earlier, but something must have gone wrong. I'm sorry if this is a repeat. My daughter likes spooky mystery thriller type books. Her reading level is more PG 13. She is over children's fiction but not ready for a lot of YA. Is the disturbing ending to much for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I admit I am curious. But if a book doesn't have my interest by page 50, I usually DNF it. Much as I love mystery and suspense, I wonder if I would be able to finish this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The premise sounds intriguing. The ghostly thing sounds odd but I can definitely understand the loss for words to describe a book ..that happens to me often! Fortunately this book is in my library so I'll have to check it out and try to see what you mean.

    New follower. --Stop by and visit me some time. :)

    ReplyDelete