Tuesday, November 2, 2010

THE DEVOURING by Simon Holt

The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)The Devouring by Simon Holt

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I LOVED this book! The writing style, the characters, the story...I loved it all.


This was definitely a scary story and the descriptions and details in this book is what did it for me. Yes, this book is a YA book, but Simon knows how to be description enough w/out going over the top because it is a YA book.

I could definitely see this story play out in my head like a movie and I would watch it again and again!

Reggie is big sister to Henry who is possessed by a Vour (or demon). Vours feed on your fears and push your spirit out of your body and into a world called the Fearscape, where you live in your worst nightmares, while the Vour uses your body how he wishes.

There is only one day a year that a Vour can possess your body and that is the Sorry night (December 22 or 23rd), but once it has taken hold it is very hard to get your body back.

Upon finding out what has happened to Henry, Reggie and her best friend Aaron set out on finding Henry's soul and bringing it back to his body.

I really liked the characters also. Henry was your typical little brother, but he was also vulnerable and scared of many things, until the Vour overtook him, and then he turned into a cold and manipulating kid. At the end of the book Henry became brave and stood up for himself and his sister.

Reggie also changed through out the book from being the quiet, obedient older sister, looking out for her younger brother and trying to protect him from the truth of things, to being braver then she has ever been before and forcing Henry to face reality.

Aaron, Reggie's best friend, also turned from the fraidy cat into a brave person also.

This book was filled with action and suspense, terror and horror.

If you haven't read it you have to definitely check it out!

The next book in the series is The Soulstice which I am reading now and then Fearscape, which I need to buy still.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment