Friday, November 26, 2010

RUINED by Paula Morris

Ruined: A Ghost StoryRuined: A Ghost Story by Paula Morris

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(from Goodreads)
Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans, where she comes to spend the year while her dad is traveling. She's staying in a creepy old house with her Aunt Claudia, who reads Tarot cards for a living. And at the snooty prep school, a pack of filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey seems to give Rebecca the time of day, but she wonders if he's got a hidden agenda. Then one night, in Lafayette Cemetery, Rebecca makes a friend. Sweet, mysterious Lisette is eager to talk to Rebecca, and to show her the nooks and crannies of the city.

There's just one catch.

Lisette is a ghost.

A ghost with a deep, dark secret, and a serious score to settle.

As Rebecca learns more from her ghost friend -- and as she slowly learns to trust Anton Grey -- she also uncovers startling truths about her own history. Will Rebecca be able to right the wrongs of the past, or has everything been ruined beyond repair?



OK, it took me a few tries to continue this book and read it through to the end. It wasn't that it was horrible or anything, but I just couldn't get into it. It seemed to be jumbled, different things going on but not enough explanation on them.

I felt as if I was only getting part of an explanation on something. I understood where the story was moving towards, but I believe that some of the things that were in here didn't have to be because it didn't add anything to the story. It was just there.

As for the character...I felt as if you didn't really get to know the characters. There wasn't enough background on them and what was happening in the present day wasn't enough to get to know them either.

I liked though the history of New Orleans and learning how important family and blood lines are. I also liked the whole ghost story and curse thing, I just wish the story was better executed and was more in depth.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment